Inventory Reorder Alerts in QuickBooks
Do you manage your inventory using QuickBooks Pro, Premier or Enterprise?
If so, you’ll want to take advantage of this handy little feature to show your inventory reorder alerts.
QUICKBOOKS INVENTORY MANAGEMENT: STOCK STATUS BY ITEM REPORT
First stop for managing your inventory in QuickBooks should be the Inventory Stock Status by Item Report.
Sample view of this report below:
You can see the following critical details about your inventory status:
- On hand
- Total needed for open sales orders
- Total required for open build assemblies
- Net available stock: On hand – on sales orders – on assemblies
- Reorder “flag” (the check mark)
- On PO
- Next delivery date
THE ORDER ALERT FLAG
By default, if the on-hand quantity of an item is less than the reorder point, QuickBooks will show the order alert flag (the check mark).
From here, you can quickly scan the report to see what items are running low and need your attention.
- If you check the “use avail qty to reorder” box at the top of the Stock Status by Item report, the order alert flag will be placed on those inventory parts where the available quantity is less than the reorder point.
- QuickBooks Enterprise has the ability to automatically create purchase orders from the Stock Status by Item report. Pro/Premier do not.
GETTING NOTIFIED OF ITEMS TO REORDER
Now that you’ve seen the traditional flow of inventory stock status and ordering information in QuickBooks, simplify it.
Take advantage of the Reminders tool within QuickBooks.
Click Company > Reminders and instantly see just those items with the order flag on them:
- Get your QuickBooks reminders to show up every day when you open the file via Edit > Preferences > Reminders > Show Reminders List when opening company file
- From what I can see, the inventory to reorder reminder ONLY shows if the quantityt on hand is less than the reorder point. It does not look to see if the quantity available is less than the reorder point as you can do within the report